Donald Trump has tried to cut the budget of the World Health Organization indefinitely and also to withdraw the United States from the world organization until the President allows “very major changes.”
In a 4-page letter to Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, director-general of WHO, Trump said that the agency had shown a “alarming loss of freedom” from China and charged Tedros with presiding over “repetitive errors which have become highly onerous to the nation.” The letter follows a US investigation into the ‘failed response to the Covid-19 outbreak’.
The day the member states of WHO gathered on the first day of the two day simulated meeting, Trump’s challenge was raised. With the hope of overcoming the gaps between the two leaders with addressing the epidemic, Tedros had asked both Trump and Xi Jinping to speak, but Trump did not take part.
On Tuesday, representatives of the WHO should consent to a different investigation into how the coronavirus was treated, as outlined in a resolution by the EU.
The President released his letter on Monday night, outlining a list of supposed deficiencies of the organisation, focused on a skewed interpretation of the pandemic, which underlined the reality that the WHO had made public Chinese assumptions about the existence of the epidemic, but overlooked and glossed over specific warnings by the organisation about the risks of the contagion.
The change came hours after the US President announced that, in violation of alerts from his department, he had been taking a few weeks of hydroxychloroquin.
Last month, Trump briefly suspended US contribution to the WHO, accusing it of spreading China’s “disinformation” on the coronaviral epidemic, given the denial of the allegation by the WHO authorities, and Beijing of honesty and accessibility.
The organization previously challenged the Trump administration ‘s argument that the warning against coronavirus was too late. The department is overly inefficient and in need of overhaul, public safety analysts have long said. There have been little facts to endorse Trump administration officials’ claims that the WHO behaved knowingly with China to hide whether they were informed of the epidemic.
Many statements in Trump ‘s letter were incorrect, such as Taiwan warned on 31 December that the disease was spread to humans. Later that day, Taiwan sent the World Health Organization, stating that the patients were separated and calling for more clarification regarding the recent outbreak of unidentified cases of pneumonia in Wuhan , China.
Despite the pandemic worsening in the US and a gradual improvement in other nations, Trump has sought to blame China and the WHO. He has prevented US support for the organisation, suggesting that US donations vary from far smaller Chinese, and has charged Tedros with his team with being ‘based on China.’
“The only way forward for the WHO is if it can actually demonstrate independence from China. My administration has already started discussions with you on how to reform the organisation. But action is needed quickly. We do not have time to waste,” Trump said in the letter.
“I cannot allow American taxpayer dollars to continue to finance an organisation that, in its present state, is so clearly not serving America’s interests,” he added.
On Monday, the WHO said that an objective analysis should begin early on of the worldwide coronavirus response and was sponsored by China, where the virus was initially identified.
The letter is the final warning shot in a voice battle between Trump and the WHO after the pandemic of coronavirus. In April the US President was temporarily frozen funding for the WHO under pressure from home in response to a pandemic and denounced the global organization as “seriously mismanaging and hiding the threat.” Conservatives were at the point shocked as a crucial UN body slashed funding amid a worldwide pandemic.