Supreme court today gave away its much-awaited decision of the time, said no coercive litigation can be taken till the end of July against private employers who have not paid wages to workers during the coronavirus lockdown. The decision was taken against the Centre’s mandate to reimburse full salaries to employees during the 54 days in the lockdown.
The Supreme court recommended a negotiation to be made between employees and employers over wage payment, and file their reports with the labour commissioners pertained.
The top court has lent centre four weeks to file a reply on the legitimacy of the March 29 notification that had ruled compulsory payment of full wages during the lockdown.
This is not the first time during the pandemic that the court has challenged the centre. Rather, it has announced its verdict on a number of petitions filed by several companies, including MSMEs, disputing the Ministry of Home Affairs decree to make full salary and payment to employees during the 54 days period of lockdown inflicted to comprise the outspread of COVID-19.
To further rationale, a bench of Justices Ashok Bhushan, Sanjay Kishan Kaul, and MR Shah quoted while passing the orders, “It cannot be disputed that the industry and laborers need each other. Efforts should be made to sort out disputes regarding payment of wages for 50 days”.
The top court further said those who are willing to work should be permitted to work, not resisting the disputes considering wages.
The center had argued that the Home Ministry notification was to “mitigate financial hardships” of crores of workers and that it had been revoked, with the employers having to pay wages for only 54 days.